Ritchie E. Berger
Areas of Practice Concentration:
Description of Practice:
Ritchie E. Berger is head of the firm’s litigation group and is considered one of Vermont's premier trial lawyers. He concentrates on the defense of complex civil litigation throughout Vermont and New England.
Mr. Berger is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, Past-Vermont State Chair, a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Past-President of Vermont Chapter, and is listed in Benchmark: Litigation, Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and New England Super Lawyers. He regularly lectures and conducts seminars on trial topics and is co-author of Vermont Jury Instructions, published by Butterworth Legal Publishers.
- University of Maine School of Law, Portland, ME. (J.D. with Honors in Advocacy 1981)
—Selected to National Moot Court Team
—Northeast Regional Champions, named Best Oralist and awarded Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Medal for Excellence in Advocacy.
- B.A., University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, (1978)
—Phi Beta Kappa
- Rutland High School (1974)
Mr. Berger joined the firm in 1982 following a judicial clerkship with Justices Robert W. Larrow and Louis P. Peck of the Vermont Supreme Court.
- Admitted to practice in Vermont and Maine, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Vermont, the United States District Court for the District of New York, and the United States District Court for the District of Maine.
- Chittenden, Vermont, and American Bar Associations
- American College of Trial Lawyers (Vermont State Chair 2007-2009)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Chapter President 1998-1999)
Honors and Awards:
- Best Lawyers (1995-present)
- Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners (2005-present)
- New England Super Lawyers (2007-present)
- Benchmark: Litigation (2010-present)
Mr. Berger resides in Shelburne with his wife, Amy and their chocolate lab Ellie. They have two sons, Matt and Jordan.