I am a litigator, advocate, and legal counselor. With a proven ability to understand and distill complicated issues, communicate clearly, manage complexity, and develop creative strategies, I solve difficult problems for clients. I have more than 25 years of experience handling multifaceted commercial, public utility, employment, constitutional, family, and personal injury litigation.
Prior to joining Dinse, I served as Vermont’s Deputy Attorney General for 6 years. In this position, I managed the nearly 140 employees of Vermont’s largest law firm, and oversaw major litigation brought on behalf of or against the State of Vermont.
Today, I apply this experience to help clients navigate state government, including State Attorneys General, achieve regulatory compliance, and efficiently resolve cases.
I represent businesses and individuals in a range of matters before the Vermont and Federal trial and appellate courts. These include complex commercial, constitutional, employment, and personal injury matters.
I have extensive experience representing clients who are the subject of Attorney General investigations, matters before the Vermont Public Utility Commission, and other state and federal agencies.
I help clients navigate state government to achieve legislative, administrative, and other policy objectives.
Employment and Labor Law
I advise and represent clients who must maintain compliance with federal and state employment and labor laws, as well as clients in litigation involving claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, wage and hour issues, and defamation. I have also assisted clients with collective bargaining.
I represent individuals in a variety of matters involving divorce, parental rights and responsibilities, distribution of marital assets, spousal maintenance, and child support.
AS DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL
- Managed litigation and negotiations including recoveries exceeding $110 million dollars to abate the opioid crisis, defense of net neutrality legislation, environmental protection, civil rights, reproductive liberty, and consumer protection matters ranging from data privacy to price gouging.
- Led the Attorney General’s Office through negotiations and technical hearings at the Public Utility Commission in the Vermont Yankee decommissioning docket.
- Obtained legislation expanding the Attorney General’s authority to pursue employee misclassification cases.
- Provided general counsel to the Attorney General and managed relationships across state agencies.
AS SHAREHOLDER AT DIAMOND & ROBINSON, P.C.
- Served as general counsel for Washington Electric Cooperative and handled permitting for the Coventry Landfill Gas to Energy Facility, rate cases, labor relations, and negotiated and drafted power supply agreements among other matters.
- Obtained federal jury verdict involving misclassification of security guards at a nuclear power facility. Banford v. Entergy Nuclear Operations, Inc., 74 F.Supp.3d 658 (D.Vt. 2015).
- Defended constitutional challenge to municipal property tax reappraisal. Williams v. Town of Lyndon, 178 Vt. 507 (2005).
- Successfully challenged Vermont’s campaign finance laws for violating the First Amendment. Landell v. Sorrell, 118 F.Supp.2d 459 (D.Vt. 2000).
- Successfully challenged Vermont’s educational finance system under the Foundation Plan for violating the Vermont Common Benefits Clause to the Vermont Constitution. Brigham v. State, 166 Vt. 246 (1997).
- Defended and negotiated settlements in various Attorney General investigations ranging from campaign finance to consumer protection.
- Led government relations initiatives for business clients ranging from consumer protection to public utility legislation.
Panels and Presentations:
- National Association Of Attorneys General, Presidential Summit, Artificial Intelligence And The Consumer Marketplace, 2022
- National Association of Attorneys General, Robocall Summit, State Cases And Year In Review, 2022
- Attorney General Alliance, Annual Meeting, Devices And The Future: Maintaining Customer Trust In An Innovation Era, 2022
- Vermont Law School Orientation, The Role Of The Attorney General And The Vermont Legislature, 2017-2020
- University of Vermont, Consumer Law In Action, guest lecture series, 2019 Spring Semester
- National Business Institute, Drug Testing In The Workplace, 2009, 2012
- Vermont Bar Association, Constitutional Law, Year in Review 1998-2001, 2003-2005
- Vermont Bar Association, Board of Managers 2018-Present
- Cochran’s Ski Area, Board President 2016-Present
- Williston, Vermont, Justice of the Peace 2016-2020, 2023
- Williston School District, School Board Director 2011-2017
- American Civil Liberties Union, Vermont Affiliate Board President 1997-2000
- Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, 2019 Choice Champion Award.
- Washington Electric Cooperative, Inc., commendation for outstanding and meritorious service as general counsel, 2017
- American Civil Liberties Union, Vermont Affiliate, 2006 Jonathan Chase Cooperating Attorney Award
- New England Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Vermont (1994)
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (2015)