My practice is built on providing highly efficient and creative solutions for sophisticated commercial transactions, with a focus on complex financings, mergers and acquisitions. I pride myself on responsiveness, consistent communication, and delivering solutions that hold up over time, preventing avoidable and costly misunderstandings.
Commercial Transactions and General Business Representation
I handle several types of commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions and borrower-side financings. I further represent a broad array of Vermont businesses on an ongoing basis on a variety of matters including leasing, governance, business contracts and entity formation.
Financial Services & Lending Regulation
Applying insight from experience working on both sides of lending transactions, I represent national, regional and Vermont banks and secured lenders in financing transactions, while also regularly advising out-of-state lenders with regard to doing business in Vermont and compliance with laws affecting lending activities.
- Ongoing representation of local gift and manufacturing company on all corporate law and governance issues, as well as capitalization restructuring, financing matters, and contract negotiations.
- Represented institution of higher education in restructuring its debt obligations, including development of a new financing structure with the federal government and defeasance of tax-exempt bonds.
- Ongoing representation of large dairy cooperative in broad range of cooperative law and governance issues, including contract negotiations, financing matters, acquisitions, and private placement of securities.
- Representation of local start-up technology companies in numerous transactions, including private placement fundraising, lease negotiations, employment matters, corporate restructuring and governance.
- Ongoing representation of numerous local restaurants and affiliated entities in all corporate law and governance matters, including financing, acquisition and securities issues.
Professional Affiliations/Community Involvement
- Trustee Emeritus, University of Vermont
- University of Vermont Alumni Association Board of Directors (2011-present); President (2019-2022)
- University of Vermont Foundation Board of Directors (2019-2022)
- Board of Directors of Burlington Business Association (2015-2022)
- Vermont Bar Foundation – IOLTA Committee (2016-2020)
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section), Vermont Bar Association
- Leadership Champlain, Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce, (Class of 2004)
- Board Member, Vermont Alzheimer’s Association (2000 – 2003)
- Honors in Economics
- Vermont (1998)
- United States District Court for the District of Vermont (1999)