I have had an active trial practice for more than twenty years, and am a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. I regularly serve as lead trial counsel in defending professional malpractice and complex personal injury actions throughout Vermont. I have extensive jury trial experience, having tried numerous cases to verdict. Before joining Dinse in 2007, I was in charge of prosecuting sex crimes, including assaults against children, at the Chittenden County State’s Attorneys’ Office for several years. I also previously served as an Assistant Attorney General at the Vermont Attorney General’s Office. Thoughtful preparation, responsiveness, and sound judgment are the hallmarks of my practice.
Professional Malpractice Defense
My primary work involves defending physicians, hospitals, and other healthcare professionals in complex medical malpractice and wrongful death actions in both state and federal courts. I also defend legal and dental malpractice lawsuits throughout Vermont.
Personal Injury Defense
I regularly defend institutions and corporate entities in cases involving a wide range of personal injuries, with a particular focus on catastrophic losses. I also assist organizations and businesses in investigating allegations of sexual misconduct.
Professional Licensing and Disciplinary Actions
I represent physicians, nurses, mental health counselors, dentists, and other professionals in disciplinary and licensing proceedings before state boards, including the Vermont Board of Medical Practice, Board of Nursing, and Board of Dental Examiners.
- Successfully obtained jury trial verdict in favor of a surgeon accused of consumer fraud arising out of his care and treatment of a patient.
- Secured favorable jury trial verdict on behalf of a hospital in an action involving an alleged breach of medical privacy.
- Achieved dismissal of a wrongful death action on behalf of a physician and hospital based on an alleged failure to timely diagnose ovarian cancer.
- Obtained dismissal of a medical malpractice action on behalf of a hospital involving a claim of inadequate psychiatric treatment.
- Successfully represented a physician in a Board of Medical Practice matter involving an alleged medication dosing error.
- Successfully represented a surgeon in a Board of Medical Practice matter arising out of an alleged error during a surgical procedure.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners, Litigation
- American Law Institute, Elected Member
- American Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
- Chittenden County Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Tri-State Defense Lawyers Association
- Chair, Board of Directors, Special Olympics Vermont, 2012-2014
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Athletic Hall of Fame - Tennis
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit