My goal is to provide thoughtful and responsive counsel for individuals, businesses, non-profit organizations and agricultural clients with regard to complex real estate transactions and land use issues. I start by understanding their goals, businesses, and the unique project dynamics to help develop solutions that truly support their goals.
Real Estate and Land Use
I advise clients on a wide variety of real estate transactions, as well as land use and environmental permitting issues across Vermont.
I advise clients on agricultural law-related issues, in particular, environmental compliance and working lands protection through agricultural conservation easements.
Land Conservation and Historic Preservation
I advise non-profit organizations and property owners on land conservation and historic preservation-related transactions, applying experience gained working as program counsel for both the Natural Resources Conservation Service (“NRCS”) and the Forest Service’s easement programs (Agricultural Conservation Easement Program and Forest Legacy Program), and as Team Leader for Preservation Services at Historic New England, where I helped property owners protect nearly twenty properties with historic preservation easements – including structures designed by prominent architects H.H. Richardson, Ralph Adams Cram, Marcel Breuer and Eliot Noyes.
- Attorney, United States Department of Agriculture, Office of General Counsel, Natural Resources and Environment Division, Washington, DC
- Team Leader for Preservation Services, Historic New England, Boston, MA
- Associate Faegre & Benson (n/k/a Faegre Baker Daniels LLP), Associate, Food, Agriculture and Biofuels Practice Group, Des Moines, IA
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard W. Goldberg, U.S. Court of International Trade, New York, NY
- Northeastern University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Spring 2014 (Land Use Law)
- Boston College Law School, Adjunct Professor, Fall 2012 and Fall 2013 (Historic Preservation Law)
- Boston Architectural College, Adjunct Professor, Spring 2013 (Preservation Law and Planning)
I have also lectured on a variety of agriculture, historic preservation and land conservation law-related topics at the following institutions: University of Virginia School of Architecture; University of Mary Washington College of Arts and Sciences; University of Maryland School of Architecture, Planning, and Historic Preservation; Georgetown University Law Center; George Washington University School of Law; University of Maryland School of Law; University of South Carolina School of Law, and the Vermont Law School.
- ABA State and Local Government Division, Land Use Committee, Historic Preservation and Architectural Control Subcommittee, Chair (2015-current)
- Lawyers Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation, Student Writing Competition Judge (2012, 2014, current)
- American Agricultural Law Association (AALA), Conference Planning Committee (2018)
- Land Trust Alliance, Conservation Defense Network, Member
- Green Mountain Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors
- Preservation Burlington, Board of Directors
- Lake Champlain Committee, Board of Directors
- Understanding the Complicated Landscape of Civil War Monuments, 93 Indiana Law Journal Supplement 15 (2018) (with Jessica Owley, University of Buffalo School of Law) – Read article here.
- Defining the Role of Conservation in Agricultural Conservation Easements, 44 Ecology Law Quarterly 627 (2017) – Read article here.
- The National Historic Preservation Act at Fifty: Surveying the Forest Service Experience, 46 Environmental Law Review 471 (2017) – Read article here.
- Reevaluating the Role of Acquisition-Based Strategies in the Greater Historic Preservation Movement, 34 Virginia Environmental Law Journal 399 (2016) – Read article here.
- Preserving National Historic Landmarks?, 24 N.Y.U. Environmental Law Journal 137 (2016) – Read article here.
- “A Tinge of Melancholy Lay upon the Countryside”: Agricultural Historic Resources within Contemporary Agricultural and Historic Preservation Law and Policy, 33 Virginia Environmental Law Journal 56 (2015) – Read article here.
- “Scarcely a Vestige of Antiquity Remains”: Historic Preservation and Significant Religious Architecture, 44 Environmental Law Reporter 10808 (Sept. 2014) – Read article here.
- Preserving Perpetuity?: Exploring the Challenges of Perpetual Preservation Easements in a Changing World, 43 Environmental Law Review 941 (2013) – Read article here.
- Moving Beyond Preservation Paralysis?: Evaluating Post-Regulatory Alternatives for Twenty-First Century Preservation, 37 Vermont Law Review 113 (2012) – Read article here.
- Preserving Preservation Easements?: Preservation Easements in an Uncertain Regulatory Future, 91 Nebraska Law Review 121 (2012) – Read article here.
- Preserving the Delicate Balance Between Judicial Accountability and Independence: Merit Selection in the Post-White World, 17 Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy 343 (2008) (with Justice Mark S. Cady of the Iowa Supreme Court)
- Much Ado About Decoupling: Evaluating the Environmental Impact of Recent European Union Agricultural Reform, 31 Harvard Environmental Law Journal 279 (2007) – Read article here.
- A Vision Unfulfilled?: Soil and Water Conservation Districts and Land Use Regulations, 11 Drake Journal of Agricultural Law 353 (2006) – Read article here.
- Conservation Easements, Tax Incentivized Transactions, and Emerging Syndication Issues, 2018, Vermont Bar Association Environmental Law Day, Burlington, Vt., June 12, 2018
- Preservation Easements and a Changing Climate, 2017 National Preservation Law Conference, National Trust for Historic Preservation/Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., June 13, 2017
- Enforcement of Local Historic District Ordinances, 2016 Maryland Historic District Legal Symposium, Annapolis, Md., June 11, 2016 (panel moderator)
- Exploring the Comparative Use of Acquisition-Based Strategies within Contemporary Historic Preservation and Land Conservation Practice, 7th Annual Association for Law, Property, and Society (ALPS) Conference, Queens University, Belfast, Ireland, May 20, 2016 (panel: New Frontiers in U.S. Historic Preservation Law with Professors J. Peter Byrne and Sara Bronin)
- Preserving Historic Religious Structures, 2015 National Preservation Law Conference, National Trust for Historic Preservation/Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., Feb. 25, 2015 (panel: Preservation Economics and Financial Incentives)
- Historic Preservation Restrictions and the Community Preservation Act, Cape-Wide Historic Preservation Conference, Barnstable, Mass., Apr. 17, 2014
- Preserving Buildings of the Modern Movement, Yestermorrow Design/Build School, Waitsfield, Vt., July 10, 2013
- After the House Museum: Returning Historic House Museums to Private Ownership, 2012 New England Museum Association Annual Conference, Burlington, Vt., Nov. 8, 2012 (panel session)
- Editor in Chief, Drake Law Review
- William and Ellen Cooney Hoye Award (most promising graduate as chosen by law faculty)
- Certificate in Food and Agricultural Law
- Major in Agricultural Business, Economics, History and International Agriculture
- Wallace E. Barron All-University Senior Award
- Vermont (2017)
- New York (2008)
- U.S. Court of International Trade (2009)
- Iowa (2010), inactive