Samuel Hoar, Jr.
Areas of Practice Concentration:
Litigation: Product Liability, Environmental and Toxic Tort, Insurance Coverage, and Complex Disputes.
Description of Practice:
Mr. Hoar has been a Director and Partner of the firm since 1992. He is admitted to practice in both Vermont and New York, and is the partner in charge of the firm's Plattsburgh, New York office. Mr. Hoar is a member of the firm's litigation practice group, the leader of one of its three litigation teams, and the leader of the firm’s Appellate and Complex Motions Practice Group, with broad experience in environmental and toxic tort, product liability, insurance coverage and general complex litigation matters. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in state and federal courts in Vermont, New Hampshire, and northern New York, and has argued appeals before the Vermont Supreme Court, the New Hampshire Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He is a regular lecturer and moderator for the Vermont Bar Association on a variety of litigation and trial practice subjects. He has also served as a member of the Vermont Supreme Court Civil Rules Advisory Committee and its Jury Policy Committee. He was the founding Chair (in which capacity he continues to serve) of the Vermont Bar Association’s Roundtable on the Profession.
- Boston University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1985)
—Dr. John Ordronaux Award for Greatest Overall Ability
—Articles Editor, Boston University Law Review
- Dartmouth College (B.A., 1980)
- Groton School (cum laude, 1973)
Mr. Hoar joined the firm in 1987 following a judicial clerkship with Hon. Bailey Aldrich, Senior Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Boston, and a brief stint as an associate at the Boston firm of Hemenway & Barnes. Mr. Hoar also served as a Lecturer In Law at Boston University School of Law prior to moving to Vermont to join the firm.
- Admitted to practice in Vermont, New York, and Massachusetts (inactive), the United States Courts of Appeals for the First and Second Circuits, and the United States District Courts for the Districts of Vermont, Northern New York, and Massachusetts
- Chittenden, Vermont (President, 2006-07), New England, and American Bar Associations
- Defense Research Institute
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- New England Super Lawyers (2007-present)
- Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners (2010-present)
- Best Lawyers (2010-present)
- Benchmark: Litigation (2010-present)
Mr. Hoar is active in community and civic affairs. Besides his involvement with the Vermont Bar Association, he is a former member of the Board of Directors and Past President of the Vermont Bar Foundation, and a former member of the Board of Directors of the New England Bar Association. He is currently the Co-Chair of the Vermont Bar Foundation’s Access to Justice Campaign and a member of the Board of Directors of CarShare Vermont, the Board of Directors of the Adirondack Trail Improvement Society, and the Board of Governors of the Dartmouth Rugby Club. In his spare time, he is an avid cyclist, mountaineer, and backcountry skier, and a referee with the New England Rugby Referees Society. Mr. Hoar lives in South Burlington with his wife, Eve, and their two English Springer Spaniels. They have a son, Sam, and a daughter, Bailey.