Katherine R. O'Neill
Areas of Practice Concentration:
Business Transactions, Employment Law, Higher Education
Description of Practice:
I view the practice of law as an opportunity to help clients realize their objectives while understanding and mitigating transactional and compliance risks to the greatest extent possible.
I advise clients on all aspects of the business cycle, including entity formation, capital generation and growth phase issues, employee compensation arrangements, and the creation of agreements that capture unique transactional relationships to best position and protect our clients from a legal standpoint.
I advise clients on issues that arise in the employment context, including compliance with state and federal laws, classification of employees, wage and overtime issues, and the drafting of agreements to capture the complicated relationships between employers, employees, contractors and consultants.
I advise our higher education clients on compliance and business transactional issues, including tax-exempt bond financing.
I joined the firm as a law clerk in the summer of 2010. Before law school, I worked in a progressive education program in Chittenden County, Vermont, facilitating conflict management, teaching English and getting students involved in the community..
- Vermont Law School, (J.D., 2011) cum laude
- Research Associate, Land Use Institute
- Teaching Assistant, Legal Research Program
- Colgate University, B.A. 2000
- Deerfield Academy, 1996
- Vermont (2011)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Vermont Bar Association
- Member, Chittenden County Bar Association
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Lecturer, National Business Institute, “Employment Law: 2013 Comprehensive Guide” June, 2013.
- Vermont Employment Law Letter, “Telecommuting Pitfalls and Practice Pointers” April 2013.
- Guest Lecturer, Women’s Small Business Program Start-Up Course, “Legal Issues for Starting and Running a Small Business.” Burlington, VT, Fall 2012.
- Guest on WCAX The :30 news program, February 2012, discussing the rerelease of Legal Rights of Women in Vermont
- Director, Navicate (2013)