Jeffrey J. McMahan
Areas of Practice Concentration:
Business Planning, Intellectual Property, Corporate Transactions, Securities, Health Care
Description of Practice:
Mr. McMahan is a corporate and intellectual property lawyer, advising businesses on issues related to formation, mergers and acquisitions, raising capital, technology licensing, trademarks and copyrights. Mr. McMahan's clients range from entrepreneurial start-ups to publicly-held companies. He has particular experience representing software vendors and purchasers in the negotiation of computer system implementation, license and support agreements. Mr. McMahan also advises clients on the selection of trademarks and assists with the registration of their trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. McMahan's practice also focuses on securities matters. He has assisted both privately-held and publicly traded companies with the private placement of stock and works extensively with higher education and healthcare clients in connection with their borrowing the proceeds of tax-exempt bonds.
Mr. McMahan was with the firm from 1994 until early 1999. In 1999, he left the firm to join the corporate legal department of IDX Systems Corporation, becoming Division Counsel of its ChannelHealth subsidiary in January 2000 and subsequently Deputy General Counsel of Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc., a Chicago based healthcare information technology vendor that acquired ChannelHealth.
- William & Mary School of Law (J.D. 1994)
- Elected to the Order of the Coif
- Administrative Law Review
- Moot Court Bar
- Middlebury College (B.A. Cum Laude, 1991) - Highest Departmental Honors
- Chittenden, Vermont, American Bar Associations - Intellectual Property and Business Sections.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners
- Best Lawyers (2013)
Mr. McMahan lives in Shelburne with his wife and children.